What to do when you get a bad review.
Whenever you request a review, there is a chance that you will receive a negative review, and we know, it can really sting!
First step is Don't Panic!
Then take a deep breath and have a good read of the review and ask yourself a few questions:
- Is the client just letting off steam?
- Is there any constructive criticism in the review?
- Did I drop the ball on this one? (we all do sometimes, its part of being human)
Turn the bad into a good with a public reply
The second step is to reply to the review publicly
Here are a few tips:
- Be positive and apologetic
- Address all of the concerns mentioned in the review
- If there are parts of the review that are not correct, address them respectfully
- End the reply with an offer for them to contact you if required
Here is what not to do:
- Be defensive or aggressive
- Disclose potentially private information (This includes the Client's name)
- Ignore key points
Is this the end of the world?
When a prospective client looks at your profile and, in the midst of your great reviews, sees a bad review with a well worded reply, they will likely understand, and it will also add validity to all of the positive reviews that they have on your profile. A negative review is an opportunity to re-evaluate and then improve processes to serve your future customers better.